Vitamix 5200, like other Vitamix blenders, is built to last. And believe me, it’s not just a random claim, I have seen many many people who have this model for almost a decade now.
Vitamix 5200 will give the same blending consistency every day for more than a decade. This simple-looking Vitamix machine is next level. It is great for anyone who wants to make healthy, homemade meals and snacks, such as smoothies, drinks, margaritas, soups, and sauces. Vitamix 5200 is one of the best Vitamix blenders without any bells and whistles.
Simple Countertop Blender That Will Last You Ages
- Best for Margaritas, green drinks, frozen fruit, hummus and dry grains
- No bells and whistles, simple controls
- Perfect for blending regular and single-serve size batches
Launched in 2007, the Vitamix 5200 is over 15 years old, but it’s still ahead of its competition in power and performance.
You will still find many people who have the 5200 they bought when it was initially launched and use them till today getting the smoothest blends every time.
The Vitamix 5200 is never compromised on its durability, performance and longevity.
Vitamix 5200: Everything you need to know!
I have already analyzed all the advantages and disadvantages of letting you decide whether you should get Vitamix 5200 or not.
If you have agreed to go for it, keep this last thing in mind. The Vitamix 5200 is an industrial-grade blender. Because of the cost of the blender, I only recommend it to people who will actually use it a lot.
Now, I am deep diving into everything there is about this blender to give you a clear overview of what you will be getting.
Specifications and Features
|Size||20in tall, 8in wide|
|Noise||Louder than other Vitamix blenders|
|Cord Length||6ft, you can wrap unused cord under the bottom of Vitamix|
|Price||Slightly above $400 (Check Latest Price)|
The Vitamix 5200 only has a tamper with the package, but you can buy the following components in addition to what originally comes with the blender.
These additional attachments that you can buy separately to enhance the capability and versatility of Vitamix 5200 include:
- The stainless steel container (If you have problems with using a plastic carafe)
- Low-profile container with a similar capacity as the original one, this will fit under most cabinets
- The regular full-size container
- Aer Disc for whipping or foaming
- Smaller countertop containers with a capacity of 32 oz. and 48 oz.
- Personal Cup Adapter (PCA) for personal blending
- Classic/Low profile tamper
- Tamper holder for Classic/Legacy Series
Power and Performance:
Every great blender MUST be powerful enough to prevent stalling under heavy loads. For a POWERFUL blender to PERFORM well, it needs an effective blade design and a suitable container to use its power efficiently for blending.
Power and Performance are the deal breaker perks for any blender and depend on the Motor, Controls and Design of its blending Jar.
Vitamix 5200 has a high-quality powerful motor encased in its base. The source of blending power comes from the electric power of the motor is 2 HP (=1491 Watts) peak power. It draws 11.5 Amp which is used to rotate the blades at 500-37000 rpm at different speed levels.
The Vitamix is built and assembled in the US and it is the cream of the crop when it comes to the electronics and electric motor on a 5200 blender. There is also an overheating sensor that prevents the engine from burning.
Blades and Container Design
The motor provides power to the blender while the performance is dictated by the blades’ design and the jar with the ingredients.
Vitamix has perfected the art of matching the high power of a motor with the super efficient design of the blade-container duo to convert that electrical power to pulverize everything.
The blades on Vitamix 5200 are dull, on purpose to act like a hammer and smash everything it touches.
Vitamix designs every container for countertop blender (not the personal cups) to create a vortex action where the ingredients are pulled down towards the bottom center over the blades to constantly circulate all the ingredients for complete and consistent mixing, blending at liquefying.
Vitamix 5200 has super easy controls. There are no complex settings or fancy displays.
The control panel of Vitamix has a variable speed dial, a high/variable speed toggle feature and an on/off toggle switch. With no pulse button you have to flick the On and Off buttons, if you want to make your products with desired consistency and smoothness like chunky soup or hummus.
The preset settings on Vitamix may give you the privilege of walkaway blending, but these preset programs only work accurately for specific recipes that are mentioned in the recipe book that comes with the Vitamix blender.
If you want to make larger amounts compared to those mentioned in the recipe or modify the whole recipe according to your personal taste. The programmed settings are not gonna work.
So the manual controls on Vitamix 5200 give you the freedom to make whatever recipe you want.
Containers and Capacity:
Vitamix blenders come in plastic containers. The Vitamix 5200 comes with 64 oz. regular tall blending jar with a tamper. And it is also compatible with other regular jars of different sizes including the dry jars except for the modern ascent series containers.
You can read more about Vitamix container compatibility in this guide. There is no problem with the actual plastic container (64 oz.) that comes with the blender but it might be a little taller to fit under your cabinet.
So, you can replace it with another low profile shorter Jar (48 oz.). Those who have been using it for a while suggest that the 48 oz. container blends better than the 64oz. carafe.
Blending performance comes from the container design. It helps the blender cavitation, rips and mixes really well. The narrow base with a small footprint makes Vitamix 5200 best for single-serving amounts as it requires minimum fill capacity.
Longevity and Durability:
The Vitamix 5200 is the longest-lasting appliance that has lasted many users for more than 8 years of daily use.
These long usability cases prove the claims by Vitamix that their blenders are built to last. And this is a fair reason why Vitamix blenders are so expensive.
When a brand knows that its products are really great. They do not hesitate to offer generous warranty offers.
With the new Vitamix 5200, you will get a 7 years warranty. You can also buy a reconditioned model at a lower price which also has a 3-5 years warranty.
This is the most painful part when we talk about the Vitamix blender.
They are freaking expensive.
This particular model, the Vitamix 5200, costs around $420.
While the price points are high for these blenders, they are totally worth the price. You cannot get such high-quality, durable and long-lasting blenders for cheap.
So, If you have the budget and you are sick of low-quality crap, go for it and become stress-free for years.
People who may want Vitamix 5200
For those who want a high-performance full-size countertop blender capable of blending a wide variety of ingredients, including tough whole foods like nuts, seeds, and leafy greens. The Vitamix 5200 is to be the go-to blender.
- Health-conscious individuals who want to make their own healthy meals and snacks at home.
- People who want to save money by making their own food instead of purchasing precooked meals.
- Anyone who is thrifty and wants their blender stays with them for more than a decade.
- Those who want a full-size blender that is also best for making personal-size drinks and smoothies.
- Best for those who love the simplicity of the controls. If you hate the electronic controls of the newer fancy Vitamix models and do not want unnecessary complexity, get this machine.
- Those who want one for all kitchen gadgets to perform all the wet and dry blending, food processing, grinding, etc.
On the other hand, the Vitamix 5200 may not be the right choice for everyone.
People Who may avoid 5200
- For people who do not have a lot of counter space in their kitchen, the Vitamix 5200 has a tall container that does not fit most countertops.
- Individuals who do not have a strong interest in making their own food at home.
- People who are on a tight budget and cannot afford the upfront cost of a Vitamix 5200.
- Those who live in tight places or share their living space with others because of high noise levels.
Overall, the 5200 is the longest-lasting blending machine by Vitamix that has been reported by many customers to have lasted for more than 20 years.
Vitamix 5200: Pros and Cons
What we like
- The Warranty of 7 years including the shipping cost. Vitamix gives this generous warranty on all of its new models. as well as on refurbished 5200.
- The simple controls and ease of use. No pulse, no preset settings, nothing. Just pure simple on/off and variable speed knob.
- The tamper makes it 2X easier to blend ice cream and thick ingredients. Plus, you can also attach the tamper holder.
- The tall container with a narrow base. It has a minimum fill capacity which is excellent for making single-serving amounts.
- Longevity. It’s the Vitamix motto “Build to Last”.
- Ability to process food. Do both Dry chopping and Wet chopping. Power to pulverize food to the creamiest and silkiest texture. Immense power with efficient design to fully convert motor power to perfect blending.
- Self Clean. It can be cleaned in a jiffy.
What We Don’t Like
- Its weight. A bit heavy. Hard to Get it out every time for smaller drinks, sauces, dips, etc.
- Bulky. Taller for most counter spaces (Although the low-profile blending jar can fit under the cabinet so you wouldn’t need to store it and get it out every time).
- No pulse feature (Bummer!)
- Noise. Measured 90db (It’s just noisy)
- Container. Although it has a virtually unbreakable jar, it stains easily.
Tests and Demos: What Can You Do with Vitamix 5200?
Here are the videos of Vitamix 5200 tested for making a variety of recipes. Check out how precisely and fast it blends. You always get a perfect and smooth consistency and texture with an amazingly fresh and creamy taste.
All Vitamix countertop blenders are able to make hot soup. The reason is their dull-ish blade design and highest RPM motors. You can get piping hot soup steaming in about 6 minutes.
Start with variable speed 1, go to level 10 and the toggle high. Let it run for 5-6 minutes and your soup will be ready.
Frozen Treats and Bowls
Only high-end, powerful blenders are able to blend frozen fruit and make smoothie bowls. Most frozen treats require blending ice and hard frozen ingredients. To get a silky texture without chunks of un-blended ingredients, the Vitamix 5200 will crush even the toughest food items within a minute.
Vitamix 5200 can also make ice cream from frozen fruit and ice.
Smoothies and Juices
This blender will pulverize strawberry seeds and blueberry skins. No one wants blueberry skins stuck in their teeth. This was my main reason for spending just over $400 on a blender. It’s worth it. And you’ll have it for life.
Vitamix 5200 can obliterate anything such as the tough Kale or Celery and results in the creamiest and silky smoothies. It has an impressive performance to make grit-free green drinks in less than a minute.
Keep in mind not to blend above 1 minute. Also, do not use a lower speed. If you do so, your smoothies will get hot.
Always start with the lowest speed 1 and immediately ramp up to speed level 10. Toggle high-speed mode to keep the motor and the ingredients cool.
Want crunchy Hummus? Vitamix 5200 will not let you down here too. Watch how you can have your Hummus precisely as you desire using this Vitamix model.
Flour and Grinding
Vitamix also gives you the capability to make fresh homemade flour at home. But you cannot do it efficiently with the regular Wet Container.
You will need to get an additional Dry container for dry grinding. The dry container is designed to blast grains and seeds up and let them fall freely above the blades. The dry Jar works opposite to the wet container, where the ingredients are pulled down.
The title of the video says “wet” container but it is not, this is a Wet Container. You will definitely need a dry jar for this one.
Food Processing and Chopping
Vitamix 5200 can be used as a food processor. It can chop both dry and wet. You can also knead pizza dough with this versatile machine.
In addition to these tests, Vitamix 5200 is also worthy of pureeing cooked and raw ingredients. It makes great margaritas.
Vitamix 5200 Alternatives: Cheaper Equally Worthy Blenders (Almost!)
These three blenders are great replacements for Vitamix 5200,
Vitamix 5200: How To Use It
- Start with Variable, move up from speed 1 to 10, then put it on High.
- You can still get nice results without selecting the top speed but if you want a SILKY smooth texture, then you must use the high button.
- On and off to make your blends chunky.
- Also, if you are sensitive to noise, get some ear protectors.
- Always use them for your kids if they are around while you are blending.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Cleaning is super easy.
Each time when you end up blending something:
- Fill the blender with water (preferably warm)
- Add a few drops of liquid soap and blend at the highest speed
- Rinse and you will get a perfectly clean blender jar.
- If there are some stains on the motor base, you can use a damped cloth to wipe them away.
- Do not put the container or lid in the dishwasher.
With time, the container will become permanently stained, clouded and may probably wear out. You can always replace it with a new container and have the same blending performance.
Should You Get Vitamix 5200? Final Thoughts.
If you blend a ton it’s worth it.
If you plan on using a blender every day to make drinks using hard vegetables and want to get the smoothest result, then it’s best to get Vitamix 5200.
It is a great choice if you need a blender that will blend perfectly with a margarita, use your blender as a food processor too, shred meat, and process dry and wet food equally every day for decades.
Overall, It’s expensive, if you only do smoothies don’t buy them. If you plan on using a blender a few times a week, get it. It will be one of the best investments you’ll ever make!