Typically, less expensive blenders such as Ninja will last three to five years, while more expensive models with a powerful motor such as Vitamix will last more than 10 years. The blender’s lifespan also depends on how often you use it.
Blenders are extremely versatile tools that can be used for anything from blending drinks, to mixing, crushing, purée, or emulsifying food. Since blenders are so useful, it’s important to know how long they typically last before being replaced with perhaps a newer model or because of damages.
How long should blenders last?
In general, all blenders last more than 3 years. Unless there it has a built-in technical fault.
Blenders have many moving mechanical and electronic parts. That’s why these kitchen tools tend to be short-lived machines. The blender life span varies depending on the type of blender, manufacturer and product category.
Vitamix leads the way in longevity. Many users have reported that they have used Vitamix blenders for almost 20 years. The same goes for Old Oster blenders which in many cases have a reported lifetime of over 20 years.
For any kind of blender to last longer, you need to use it with care and keep it clean and do proper maintenance after use.
Ninja blenders are low to mid-budget machines which can get along if you use them properly. But they are not as long-lasting, you usually get what you pay for.
One thing that you should keep in mind is that the only blender brand that has the same durability in its products same as decades ago is none other than Vitamix. Other brands like Oster have only a few models that last really long but also have other products that were a complete mess.
So, In 2022/2023 all we can recommend are Vitamix blenders that should stay with you for decades even if you use them every day.
When should I replace my blender?
Blending very hard food items or ingredients without enough liquid may also cause damage to the blender.
How long blenders work is also dependent on the blender’s power. The more powerful blenders such as Vitamix are typically more expensive but may be worth it depending on your needs and budget.
Vitamix blender can be used for ages without any degradation in its performance. While the next most popular blenders, the Ninja blenders are not much durable and sturdy with a shorter warranty that may not last for too long.
When is the time to replace your blender?
When blenders start to show signs of wear and tear, it is best to throw them out and get new blenders. Blender failure can be detected by a number of signs such as leaking, burning smell, etc.
These signs indicate that you should now get rid of your blender and get a new one.
- Leakage: Low-quality blenders with separable blade assemblies are also reported for leakage.
- Damaged Power Cord: With time the power cord of the blender will start to fray which may cause a serious electrical hazard. When such a thing happens, it is better to get a new blender because the blender could also be not worth using anymore.
- Cloudy Container: Dry ingredients such as nuts seeds or grains will damage the blender jar and lead to a cloudy blender. Which will eventually lead to a replacement.
- Cracks: Blender breaking is also caused by grinding too many ice cubes into the mixture or using hard ingredients such as big chunks of hard food such as cereal or kale stem nuts when making smoothies.
- Sparks inside the motor base: Often observed in low-quality blenders is that when the motor is running there are sparks inside the motor base. This is also an indication of a weak or damaged motor and the blender is likely to be replaced.
- Slow rotations: Inefficient blending due to worn-out motor shafts and other mechanical components also reduces the blending quality of the machine. When that happens, it is recommended to replace the blender with a new, better one.
Do blenders burn out?
Yes, blenders have electric motors and they can burn down if they are used continuously in a single run, the oils and lubricants will start to vaporize the motor will burn out. Most blenders have thermal switches with automatically shuts the blender before all this happens.
Blenders tend to stop through the blending. It means the motor has burned out and the blender is dead. You may also smell a burning odor when this happens. Most of the time, this issue is irreparable and all you could do is return it to the vendor if it is in warranty or get a new blender.
What is the average lifespan of a blender?
The average Lifespan of a Kitchen Blender is around 5 years. This average includes all the high-end blenders such as Blendtec or Vitamix as well as low-end cheap blenders by less-known brands. A blender can work for as short as a few months for a poor-quality machine. While a great quality durable blender may keep working for more than 20 years.
How often should you replace your kitchen blender?
There is no rule to replace your blender after a certain period of time. However, if you feel the blender is not blending properly or it is unable to satisfy your needs. You should definitely replace it with a better one. Also, there are certain issues that are beyond repair, in which case replacing your kitchen blender is inevitable.
What blenders last the longest?
Blenders with a powerful motor, durable build, high-quality material, and from a good reputable brand will last the longest.
Currently, the blenders that are supposed to last the longest in terms of performance and durability are the Vitamix blender.
Although heavy on the pocket, they are worth it if you blend often and want something to stay with you for a long.
How Long Do Ninja Blenders Last?
Most Ninja blenders would last for less than 5 years with a ONE-year limited warranty. Although there are a few exceptions where users have had it sustained for almost 10 years of daily use. Based on experience, Ninja blenders are expected to last for around 5 years. Some users complain their machines not lasting beyond the 1-year warranty, but that’s not true.
Ninja blenders are cheaper blenders with lesser power compared to other high-end products on the market. The build quality of Ninja blenders is also relatively lower than the expensive blenders out there.
So most of you might think this blender would not last for very long. The longevity of Ninja blenders depends upon many factors. And there can be many reasons which can render your Ninja blender useless.
How long do Vitamix blenders Last?
Vitamix blenders last more than 3x longer than its competitors on the market. These sturdy machines with long-lasting powerful motors last more than 15 years easily. Vitamix offers up to a 10-Year Full Warranty on their high-quality products. For me and many users like us, Vitamix is, hands down, the best appliance we have ever had.
If you won’t blend spoons and rocks in this blender, they would probably last ages and not go bad.
How long do Oster blenders Last?
From Osterizer to Oster, these machines last for generations. I have heard from many people who are still using the Oster blender they got from their parents and even grandparents from the 60s. That’s ridiculous how those machines from ages ago are still working great just like new.
The Oster Beehive with glass jar is a beast that can easily handle even the toughest pieces of food and ice. It has lasted for more than 20 years for most users.
tips to make blenders last longer
- Never leave a blender unattended, with blades rotating at high speed can become very hot and pose a safety hazard if left running unattended
- Do not let blenders run for too long, blenders should be turned off after 2-3 minutes of blending or at least allowed to rest for a minute before switching them back on again
- Always use dishwashing soap to keep away oils, grease and other foodstuff buildups around blades
- Do not put blenders in a dishwasher – it can cause rusting, pitting and deterioration of the blades
- When storing blenders make sure they are dry – wet blenders can lead to rust or mold growth
- Do not store blenders near corrosive substances
- Blenders with dull blades will have a harder time breaking down food particles. If blenders feel like they cannot blend as efficiently, try sharpening blades
- Blenders should not be stored near any direct source of heat such as ovens, stovetops, or radiators which could do damage to the blender
Old blenders are not safe for use as their parts become less efficient over time and the blades may need more effort than usual in order to blend foodstuffs.
This will lead to increased chances that blenders will be pushed beyond their limits and this can cause damage to blenders and users.
Final Thoughts on How long do blenders last
- Good blenders last more than 10 years
- Less Expensive blenders can last around 3 years
- The lifespan of blenders depends on their use
- Signs like leaking, cracking, noise, etc. indicate the time to replace a blender